Monday, January 19, 2009

Hockey from the stands

The newspaper crew, plus a few extras, went on a field trip to the Valley for a hockey game on Saturday night. I may not be a huge fan of watching sports on TV, but I love going to games like this. Maybe its because I'm competitive, and the rivalry is catching. Hockey, especially, is high drama. The bigger the fights the better. I spent the game yelling at the home team and jumping up and down when they scored.

It reminded me of when I played myself in college. I was the only girl on an all-boys team. That meant that my hockey jersey went down to my knees, and I got to throw elbows without consequence. It was great. I was never that good, but I could skate.

I'd like to imagine myself down there on the ice with the semi-pro guys, but I think I would get slaughtered.

Lesson learned: Pistachios are the best hockey game snack.

No comments: