Sunday, February 01, 2009

Trecking

A friend of mine took a leap of faith and invited me to go snowshoeing/snowboarding with him and the guys Saturday. He had never seen me snowboard, so for all he knew, I might only be able to leaf and would try to make him carry my pack. Luckily for them, I can carry my own pack, and I'd like to think I'm a level above leafing.

We hiked out on a ridge line that extends from a local ski resort. It was three miles to our destination: an open cliff that has amazing panoramic views of mountain peaks, meadows and valleys. We made it at the break neck speed of 1 mph. It was a haul, but it was fun to catch glimpses of the scenery between the trees and felt good to be outside.

We spent awhile relaxing at the edge of the cliff and watching the jet streams trace lines up above us in a sky with no clouds.

On the way back, we alternated between snowshoeing the flats and snowboarding any downhill. We made it out in time to swing through some powder on a closed off run.

Lesson learned: I've got some tricks for switching out my snowboard for snowshoes for next time.

No comments: