Thursday, July 26, 2007

Living on the lake


Utah has it's charms. And of them is called Lake Powell. I have never been there before last week. And I already want to go back.

The thing that's amazing is, after we caravanned the about 40 miles from the boat ramp and set up camp in one of the million canyons that spider off from the main channel, there's barely anyone there. I love the remoteness of it, the red rock and the emerald water.

The toys we had lugged along read like a certain Christmas carol: one large tube, two speedboats, three kayaks, four jet skis and five coolers full of food.

Here are the top ten things about visiting the lake

1. Hiking, swimming and climbing in the slot canyons and scrambling up to arches.





2. Learning to wakeboard.


3. Crawling through the swimthoughs.


4. Being on a jet ski behind one of the crazy boys.


5. Sleeping under the stars on the top of the houseboat.


6. Sitting on the back of the houseboat at dusk.


7. Playing rummy with the girls.

8. Living in our swimsuits.


9. Drinking mimosas and beer — both at the same time.



10. Laying on a boat in the sun.


There are more, but I won't rub it in. Notice how tubing is not on this list. The picture of me smiling is before the ride.


Lessons learned: I want to go back. Can I Ben?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ask Ben if we can go too. I'm sure he will like Terry!!!!!!