Thursday, April 23, 2009

Farewell to my coffee table

My living room is now empty, my coffee table gone.

I know this sounds like the beginning of an ode. Maybe it is.

Four years ago, my boyfriend at the time, Cavan, left a coffee table he made by hand at my place as he set out for a new job in the Boston area. The plan was, I would bring it out to him when I moved there. Well, obviously our plans never came to fruition, so the table stayed right where it was.

I sort of hoped it always would.

Cavan, who now lives in Kentucky, was in California for the week and came up to pick up what is rightfully his. It was really good to see him, catch up and do a little reminiscing over lunch. It is crazy to think it's been about four years since he was here. Seeing him reminded me that there really are selfless men out there - that there is much more than what I've settled for from my relationships since. I think we both know our lives took different paths for a reason, but our relationship carries a special kind of nostalgia.

I think that's why it may be so hard to let go of that coffee table. Because it is one of the last tokens I had left from that time.

Lessons learned: I will have a hard time replacing that table.

3 comments:

Jed Damschroder said...

you're a good writer. there's lots of good men and women ... an equal amount of both ... don't fall into that fallacy.

mom said...

I always liked Cavan a lot. He treated you so well, and was a good, honest guy. I'm glad that you remain friends. He's someone you can trust, and who has always been kind, thoughtful, considerate. You deserve good friends like him.

The Morris Family said...

I remember when you got that coffee table -- four years already?? wow, it's trippy to think back to that time & all that has happened since. If it makes you feel any better, according to the principles of feng shui, you're better off without the table:)