Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Step dancing

My gym rotates athletic classes each month. One month it will be BOSU. Then kick boxing. Then Pilate's.

My favorite is the step dance class that a woman named Amy teaches, and December was its month. I like it for three reasons: 1. It is never the same. 2. She kicks our butts. 3. It is sort of like dancing.

Sort of. Actually, it's really more like jumping up and down while spastically waving your arms around. That happens to be really good exercise.

I was thinking about it the other day in class, as we all did the "V-step" and "grapevine" and "over the top!": I would never want anyone besides the 21 women doing this crazy stuff along with me to see me doing it. (Yes, women, because, while it is open to men, a man wouldn't be caught dead doing this unless he had no idea what he was getting into. There have been a few to accidentally wander in. It only happens once.) In our class, the higher you kick your leg off to the side while on top of this narrow bench and the more you wave your arms in different directions while doing it, the better.

It is really fun.

Amy starts out with basic parts and puts them together until you end up doing a "routine." I put that in quotes, because it reminds me more of what my sister and I did as children when we had had too much sugar.

And yet, I'm sad it's over.

Lessons learned: Maybe we still need to jump around and flail our arms as adults too.

No comments: