Tuesday, July 25, 2006

20 miles later

So we're on day ten of over 100 degree temperatures. People are going to extreme measures to survive. We reported one lady actually filling her hot tub with blocks of ice.

For me, it meant sleeping on my bathroom floor Sunday night after I got back from Truckee. In my absence, my apartment had heated up like a human oven. The cups in my cupboards were warm to the touch and my plastic shower curtain looked like it was about to melt off its hangers. I tried sleeping in my bed with the air conditioning and fan on, but I was still miserable. So I pulled out my Thermarest, threw my comforter over it and dozed off.

Since then I have been recovering from the 20-mile mountain bike ride my mom, a friend of hers and I took on Sunday. I'm not as sore as I thought I would be, I'm just nursing some bruises and something I tweaked in my foot. Other than that, I was the ride I've been waiting for all summer. We drove up to Castle Peak to ride the trail, called "Hole in the Ground." It's a roller coaster single-track trail riddled with rocks and tree roots. There are also a few hairy switchbacks and rock steps.

I had to walk some sections, and I tipped over three times, but it was fun to challenge myself. I haven't been so tired in a long time. The last stretch is across the parking lot of the Boreal ski resort, and although it was flat, I had to will myself to turn over every pedal.

Now I'm back to work. More drama with a school district I'm covering ... working on a long-term project ... more on school construction ...

Lessons Learned: The bathroom floor is surprisingly comfortable.

No comments: