Friday, July 28, 2006

More scrapes and bruises


Last night was the virgin mountain bike ride for the click in pedals my sister got me for my birthday. On two separate occasions in discussions beforehand, two guys, one who I don’t even know, looked straight at me said with certainty: "You're going to fall." I did. Three times. This is the second ride I've gone on with my friend, Steve, who was my supervisor at a ski resort I taught snowboarding at last winter. We went once last week in retroactive celebration for me graduating from physical therapy (I say that because I was going anyway).

Let me back up. For those of you who don't know, about four years ago, I fell and injured my lower back snowboarding. I wish I could tell you it was launching off some cliff or bombing down a black diamond. No. Actually it was almost flat where I fell. And I'm pretty sure I wasn't going much faster than a pommel lift. My only excuse is that it was really icy. So I caught an edge, landed on my hip. It twisted my pelvis and parts of my back and that's the way they have stayed since. It hasn't bothered me too much until about two months ago. When it didn't go away after four weeks, I started seeing a physical therapist.

But, for the most part, I'm healthy again and have been going mountain biking as much as possible. Falling over as I struggle to take my feet out of my pedals probably isn't great for my back. Oh well. Steve and I headed up to a reservoir, where there is a fire road that goes for miles. It was a nearly three-hour ride on terrain that's not too difficult. But there were a few tricky spots where the ground had softened into sandy pits or where you have to navigate around rocky patches. I fell the first time at one of the dried-out creek beds we had to cross. Its walls are pretty steep with rocks at the base. I jut tipped over coming up the other side. The second time was on pavement. The third time was just because there wasn't enough blood from the first two falls.

I’m pretty sore today, and I keep finding new bruises.

Lessons Learned: Twist heals out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to get those pedals as some point, and I will try to learn your lessons... twist heels out..
I may start with a few fire roads before jumping to the single track...

love you!

Anonymous said...

OK blog author.. Here's a note to you. I did the Hole in the Ground trail today with Paul, and had a blast. I rode many more sections than last week and was less afraid of the big drops. Again, my bike drew attention. I'm hoping the guys who ride that trail regularly and see me will start a "get-that-girl-a-new-bike" fund at the Backcountry. We can only hope!