Thursday, July 27, 2006

An upleasant surprise for one local resident

At the newspaper I work for, our "News of Record" has become somewhat notorious. People will buy the paper just for that, even some who live out of state.

My favorite log item was one we published a few months ago when a man walked into the Sheriff's Department and asked how he could legally kill someone. It was later featured on Jay Leno. Living in a rural area like the foothills makes people a little wacky it seems.

Today we had another one: A man found a naked male and female sleeping in his living room. Is there a protocol for etiquette in a situation like that? Or can you play pranks on them? They’re just begging to have stuff written on their foreheads in permanent marker.

Anyway, back to normalcy, since right now after hearing that I feel very normal.

Last night we had a going away dinner party for Michelle, our page designer at the paper who is leaving for another job. We're all sad, of course, but it sounds like an awesome opportunity. It was cool to get almost all of the younger staff together. It's been a little while. Seeing the people I work with act out famous people (or other people we all know) during a game of Charades made my day. Mike wins the prize for best sound effects. It's interesting how all the people he did sound like monkeys.

My job was to be Josh. Since he is the only reporter who does Ninja in the office and serenades us in a falsetto voice, this wasn't too difficult. He was actually the one who guessed it. The other one I got was Napoleon. My mind read that as Napoleon Dynamite, which is a really sad commentary on my grasp of history. Maybe it was wishful thinking (Napoleon Dynamite is easier to act out in my opinion); maybe it was just plain stupidity.

Lessons Learned: If you are going to break into someone's house to crash for the night, keep your clothes on. And Napoleon does not equal Napoleon Dynamite.

No comments: