Sunday, February 25, 2007

Hold on mom

Here's a shout out to my mom, who as I write is stuck in her car going over Donner Pass. She had driven to Yosemite for a skate ski race this weekend, and left at noon to return home. It's been pouring rain here all day, which means snow up high, so I guess it's pretty slow going.

She called to vent her frustration just a bit ago. I don't blame her. I would be going crazy if I had just spent nine and a half hours in the car, too. And she doesn't have the CD player to blast like I do.

Good luck mom. Just remember my driving tips. And here is a new one for snowy conditions: Chains double well as whips for those drivers who pass too close.

Lesson learned: I love my cozy warm couch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you sweet pea for the words of encouragement. The wind was ripping after I talked to you and it was a white out going over Donner Summit and into Truckee. Then once in Tahoe Donner, the roads grew thick with snow. And, of course, no plows had made their way to my road, which was covered with a foot of new snow. I inched up the road following two tire tracks only to arrive at my driveway and find a 4-foot-deep, 20-foot-long snow drift blocking the way in. I had to park in the road and crawl through the chest-high drift to get inside. (where, of course, my propane heater had quit because of the wind...) I finally got to bed at about 11 p.m.! The good news is I'm working from home today... the storm has not quit. It has left an 8-foot-drift on the side of the driveway! Great for us skiers (and boarders), yes?