Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Chasing flames

I'm on my 15th hour of covering a fire near Escondido, one of the 16 fires burning in San Diego. Somehow, that doesn't seem like enough time for what I'm trying to do. Right now I'm waiting for a snail-slow Internet connection to attach photos I'm sending to the paper I work for.

The really sad thing is, after driving a total of about 10 hours to get here, none of those photos contain a bit of fire. I drove around with a public information officer for five hours today from one group of firefighters to the next and we never found any.

I'm off to go look for more.

Lesson Learned: Just because 400,000 acres is burning, doesn't mean you can find it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a rock star for taking on this mission. It's a really tough assignment -- sometimes there's so much happening you can think straight -- other times all you do is wait and eat bad food.
Be safe - and strong - and smart... It's a wonderful experience -- I'm super proud of you!