Thursday, November 13, 2008

Crossing my fingers

My sister, Amanda, is coming to see me tomorrow!

Maybe I shouldn't write this, or I might jinx it. Usually I'm not so superstitious, but my sister has a travel curse, and I am definitely tempting fate. Especially considering she only has a half-hour layover. Normal uncursed people would probably arrive on time and slip onto their seat on the next plane with their luggage right behind them.

I am predicting a tsunami will overrun Great Falls, Montana, where she lives, and wipe out the entire five planes that make up the airport's fleet. They will put her on a bus to Missoula to catch a second plane, but the bus will be hijacked by members of a Mexican Drug Trafficking Organization. My sister is pretty savvy, so she will escape and hitchhike the rest of the way to catch her flight.

By then of course, she will have missed her connection and have to stay over night in Salt Lake City. But, there will be a cold snap that selectively freezes all the fluid lines in every plane flying to Sacramento. (I don't even know if there are such things as fluid lines in planes, but if there are, they will freeze.)

In the meantime, she will discover a new rule passed overnight requiring passports to travel to California, and realize that her passport is in storage back in Montana. After having it overnighted to her, she will arrive only to find out her luggage was sent to Guam.

So I'm being over-dramatic, but I've learned to expect the unexpected when my sister gets in a car or airplane.

Lesson learned: I am not as creative as her real-life curse.

No comments: