Monday, January 01, 2007

Ringing in the New Year


Happy New Year! I'm writing this is a sleep-deprived stupor. Our family rang in the new year at an inn where my uncle had gotten us tickets to see a local band called "The Boca Boys." One of the highlights was dancing with my Grandfather, who has an elegant style of twirling all his granddaughters around.

All the girls, including my aunts, mom, sister and cousin, had our own dance off. It was fun to have a few drinks with them. After the band quit, we headed to another bar on the south end of the island, where another band was blaring out old rock tunes. By closing time, we all still had a enough liquor in our bloodstreams that going to bed was out of the question. So we headed to the north end of the island, where a few of the family are staying, to go in the hot tub.

We descended on a couple who was enjoying a romantic evening alone. My uncle John tried to warn them since he was the first to arrive. At some point, he embellished to us that the couple were newlyweds. We were all toasting to their happiness, as they protested, "We're not married."

We topped off the evening with a couple of pieces of key lime pie, which has been the staple dessert here in Boca. We all got to bed at almost 5 a.m.

Lesson learned: I think I might break my ten-day alcohol consumption streak tonight.

No comments: