Monday, March 26, 2007

Eastern hospitality


My head is pounding from trying to absorb the language, culture and watching my surroundings change as soon as I adapt to them. It's a good feeling though, and I can't believe how much I'm learning. I'm realizing I really didn't know anything about Japanese culture before I came.

Probably the thing that has most struck me is the generosity and selflessness of the people here. You can trust everyone. Maybe it is just the setting I'm in, since Rotary has a strong philosophy of service, but everyone has bent over backwards to make us comfortable and happy. It's a little overwhelming. We actually have to be careful not to bring up something we liked, because the next day they will show up with it and give it to us. Beth's host mom had a painting of a Japanese character on her wall that meant dream. Beth complimented her on it, and later Beth found it tied in a bag tied to her suitcase.

The Group Study Exchange Coordinator, Takashi, also seems to just take care of everything before we even know what's happening.

Lesson learned: I better not compliment someone's car.

No comments: