Thursday, March 01, 2007

So much for "great"

I've learned that even thinking the thought "Wow, everything today is just falling into place" is dangerous. It's like an instant jinx. Case in point: today.

For my story today, I had to call superintendents at 15 school districts, plus some teachers and board members. Usually, a story like this takes about three days, by the time everyone calls me back.

Today, magically (I still don't know how it happened), I got ahold of just about everyone before lunch. I wrapped up the story by about 3:30 p.m. This was really good news, because I really wanted to get to the gym for this step dance class that is running only this month — one that is my all-time favorite.

As I walked out of the office at 4:15 p.m., I was already celebrating my "great" day.

But I ran into an acquaintance at the gym as I was getting changed. We ended up talking for awhile, so I missed the class. That wasn't so bad because what we were talking about was worth it. But I only got in a 20-minute work out before I had to run to my online virtual classroom appointment.

This is for the Japanese learning program I'm taking to prepare for the professional exchange I'm going on in a couple weeks to Japan. I already missed the first class because no one at the program told me I couldn't participate using a Mac. I had to set it up on a PC at work. That was a whole drama filled with technical difficulties and about a half dozen phone calls. By the time I got on, I found out the class was mistakenly cancelled.

My exchange team and I decided to bump up a conference call we had planned.

That worked, but by the time I got off the phone it was 8:45 p.m., and I was feeling a little worn out from running to one thing to another. And I still had four messages on my cell phone's voicemail. And all I had for dinner was a peanut butter sandwich in the car on the way to my class and a piece of cake left over from cake day at work.

It's all good, I thought, "Grey's Anatomy" is on.

Well, it's a rerun.

Lesson learned: So much for optimism.

No comments: