Thursday, March 22, 2007

Feed the birds


The Japanese don't kid around when they sight see. Wednesday we jumped from landmark to landmark, starting at the Jodogahama Beach. The highlight was taking a boat off the coast, passing by the myriad of huge rocks jutting out of the ocean. The Rotary members accompanying us pointed out the eastern most point of the big island of Japan.


At most parks I have gone to in my life, you bump into sign after sign that says "Please don't feed the animals." Here, they encourage it. They gave out slabs of bread to throw to the seagulls, which drew hordes of them to duck close to the tarp roof that covered the boat. They will take it directly from your hand — and as we found out later, your head, and your mouth.

Afterwards, we had lunch at a traditional Japanese restaurant, compete with low tables where we sat on the floor, and more seafood. We also went to another town on the coast to see the wall they had built to guard against tsunami, as well as visited some underground caves.


Tonight is the first night on our trip we are staying with host families. I would be lying if I said it isn't awkward. It's hard enough to stay in a complete stranger's home alone, but when you don't understand each other, it adds a whole other element of uneasiness. I'm staying with a couple named Atsuko and Tetsuo. They have been very gracious, making me a huge dinner and asking me questions about my life at home.

The guest room's floor is covered in straw mats, called totami. You sleep on a cushion on the floor. The customary thing is to take a bath at night. You are not supposed to use soap or drain the water tub, because the whole family should use the same water. They allow the guest to go first, so I am the lucky one, but it's hard to believe they are okay with bathing in the water I just stepped out of, and there was no shower in their bathroom.

Lesson learned: Sleeping on the floor isn't so bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that picture with that hat!!!!