Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Covering new turf

When I walked into work after being gone for five weeks, at least three people said, "I'm so glad your back." Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not bragging. I have a feeling that it has less to do with my irresistible and charming personality and more that I am a warm body capable or writing stories.

Yes, we are that short staffed. Amy joked that me coming back just doubled the number of our reporters, and she's not that far off.

Since then, I have worked about 10 to 12 hours almost every day. Japan now seems very far away. Maybe I'm a wimp. Whatever. Your try writing up bookings, a brief about a rape trial, a brief about a peace officers memorial, a brief about school administrator awards, a story about a superintendent's resignation, a story about teacher negotiations, a story about two burglars pleading guilty, an accident summery and a couple photo requests all in one day. (This was my Monday).

On a bright note, part of the reason I'm so busy is because I am taking over the cops and courts beat. It's not technically a promotion, but I'm pretending that it is. I feel like I'm a rookie reporter again, having to start from the bottom with every source and feeling completely lost. It's great, though exhausting. I went to research a civil court case the other day, and the lady replied to my request with a string of words I never heard. I might as well have been back in Japan. I'm enjoying the challenge. I feel like I'm taking a college course for free.

I'm still holding onto the education beat too until we hire a replacement.

Lesson learned: Just roll with it.

No comments: