Monday, May 28, 2007

Reviving rides

I took a couple rides this weekend that made me remember why I love the sport of mountain biking.

Lately I've just had a hard time biking, partly because I am tired from working so much, partly because it's the beginning of the season, and partly because maybe I'm not as hard core as I wish I were.

But Sunday evening Steve and I went out and did a loop that we haunted often last year. Since it was later in the day, it was the perfect temperature, cool, but not cold. We finished just before sunset, which we had a nice view of as we went down the grade.

Monday, I took a ride by myself on a narrow paved road that swings around from one town to another in my area. Although it hasn't got the remote character of a single track, it's beautiful. The road winds up and over golden hillsides. Every once and awhile, you pass a few cows grazing on the little green left since its gotten hot, or an old farm house that looks like its about to collapse. There's not much traffic, so most the noise comes from the crickets chirping in the trees.

The whole loop, which only took a little longer than a hour and a half, left me wanting more.

Lesson learned: I love my bike.

No comments: