Thursday, May 24, 2007

Near miss


So yeah, I almost got in a head on accident yesterday.

I had the afternoon off because I was working last night, so Steve and I went for a bike ride. We were driving up the hill near my apartment on our way back, when we noticed car coming over the crest in the middle of the road.

For a split second, it looked like she was going to smash directly into the front of Steve's truck. The driver continued across the road and into two parked cars, just as Steve veered left. She was so close to the passenger side of the truck, I thought for sure she sideswiped us too.

We pulled over to see if she was okay, but she put the car in reverse and sped off. I was able to get her license number, which Steve wrote down. We were headed to the house the cars were parked in front of, when we looked down the hill and saw the car had rolled. Apparently, her brakes and steering had gone out.

I called 911, and it was all I could do to try and tell them what happened with the chaos going on around me. The girl who had nearly hit us had already gotten out of the car and was walking up the hill. She was in hysterics, but seemed to escape with little more than a scratched hand. It turned out she was 15 and didn't have her license.

The whole thing was so surreal.

After we told the police what happened, I had to run home to get ready for work. I noticed I drove a lot extra cautiously on the way to the meeting I was covering.

Lesson learned: God is good, a lesson I continue to learn all the time.

No comments: