Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Night watch

A few weeks ago, an acquaintance asked if my job required that I be on call all the time, considering I cover crime and fire. At the time, I answered "no," that I don't really have to be.

That may technically be correct. I think I could refuse if I really wanted to. But I'm learning that I really do have to go, in part because my boss expects me to and in part because I feel a journalistic responsibility to. It something happens, my boss calls me, and I go.

Case in point: I had just gotten off Friday night and wasn't feeling very well. Sarah was on her way over for a movie night. Then I got a call from my boss telling me about a house fire in a nearby town. So I went, leaving Sarah at my apartment to entertain herself. When it comes down to it, I do like going out on this stuff. It is sort of an adrenaline rush, and it's interesting to figure out how it all happened. But it tends to happen at inopportune times.

Lesson learned: I guess I am on call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess your job is reporting? I get inopportune calls from my boss and I work at a tree nursery! I was hired and worked fulltime for about 10 days. A young college student applied and was given my job and am called every so often. I guess it is on call because he calls me when his back is up against the wall, and it is at different times of the day and night. Everyone had a schedule and I never had one.Very annoying!Now that the young college student has gone back to college, He is calling again. I didn't sign up for this. It is a bad sign when your boss calls and it becomes a trend. It is an invasion of privacy. It is like having your boss in your house. Not to mention I have family living with me and when he calls at night it wakes people up.Finding another job where the boss doesn't call, because I would have a schedule and know when and where I was working is my main priority.