Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Winging it

It's been more than a month since I got back from Japan, but gave a presentation this morning to the local Rotary club who sponsored me on my trip.

As you can probably guess, I procrastinated putting something together till the last minute. On Monday, I compiled a quick power point presentation with photos from the trip. Last night, instead of reviewing what I was planning to say, I went out with a friend for a drink.

When I got to the breakfast meeting, we realized there was no cable that could connect my Mac to the projector. "This is not looking good so far," I thought. We managed to do a quick trade out to a different lap top, and I was online.

Despite my lack of preparation, it actually went brilliantly. They even laughed and oohed and ahhed. Who knew? My publisher, who is a member of the Rotary, shocked me by saying it was the best presentation they've had (which honestly makes me wondering where they're getting their speakers.) Still, it was nice validation.

Lesson learned: Maybe I should wing it more often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised. Your trip was amazing, and you have an engaging way of telling stories.

Anonymous said...

Oooof! You know, they said something like to Josh and I when we presented about Israel. Damn. Now I feel used and cheap...hmmm, and I don't seem to even mind! I think it's their clever ploy to get you to stay - watch out, they may try to offer you a raise next! Don't say you weren't warned. Be strong. :) Sarah