Monday, July 14, 2008

Getting high


Before I go to the big city for the rest of the summer, I had to get in a camping trip. A group of coworkers and I headed up into the mountains for such an escape. Our itinerary of events ended up including: catching a lizard, cooking steaks the size of my head on a barbecue about the size of a laptop, cheep beer, a big fire for which the woman found the firewood for and smores.

We had quite the spread for breakfast as well, but we realized we had made a grave mistake. No one had anything to make coffee with. The result, in our desperation for caffeine, was to rig up paper towels over the tops of coffee cups with hair ties. I'll just tell you right now, I doesn't work that well. We were able to coax enough water through for a half cup of luke warm coffee each, which was enough to motivate us for our hike.


We ended up hiking to a really beautiful lake. It required several creek crossings, and I slipped with my shoes on during the first one, of course. It was really nice on the way up, so we took a detour to a water fall. On the way down, it started raining, but just the warm kind — enough to rinse off the 90 degree temperatures we have been enduring in lower elevations.

Lesson learned: I need new tennis shoes. And I could use another camping trip.

No comments: