Friday, July 25, 2008

A little elbow rubbing


In the past couple of days, we had coffee with the deputy secretary treasurer, met with the senator of Louisiana in the Capitol, and Henry Kissinger made a cameo at a dinner party we attended at the Germany Ambassador's house. I'm learning fast that the organization that oversees this program has come clout. It's a bit humbling. I can't help but wonder how I ended up with this fellowship, which is sending me to Berlin to work at a newspaper there. I'll also send back stories to my home paper.


I arrived in Washington D.C. on Tuesday for an orientation. There are 20 of us — 10 Americans going to Germany and 10 Germans going all over the United States. This orientation was our chance to meet each other, as well as to listen to speakers on a variety of topics, from the election campaign to transatlantic relations to the state of the economy. We had some great dialogue about some really heavy issues.

The irony that Obama was in Berlin while we were all in D.C. wasn't lost on us, especially since just about every speaker brought it up.

Lesson learned: It's a crazy time to be an American.

No comments: