Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Taking off

There is something very strange about locking your apartment up before you leave for more than two months. Something strange, and maddening, since you are pretty sure you did something stupid like leave the air conditioning on. (Yes, I think I did.)

Now I'm sitting in the Sacramento airport listening to elevator music. There are lines stringing around the corner at the Burger King. Starbucks is equally popular. It's 5:30 a.m., so I'm a little punch drunk. That and excited. That and a little sad.

James deserves "Prince Charming of the Year Award" for getting up at 2:30 a.m. to drive me here. But as promised, in about five minutes, I will start brainstorming ways to repay him. So far, throwing him a parade with elephants and monkeys is topping the list. Maybe I should brainstorm when I'm not so tired.

I'm sorry to all those who I didn't get to see before I left. I'm going to try to keep this blog relatively up to date, particularly while I'm in Germany. Stay tuned and in touch.

Lesson learned: James drives my car better than I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bon Voyage! -- How do you say that in German?