Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Biking in high heels


I love the small traffic lights set at eye level and dedicated solely to bicyclists. I wonder sometimes if they are really necessary, since bikers can just follow either the pedestrian or automobile lights. Still, it is a statement that bikes have a place on the road.

There are also bike paths painted into the sidewalks or alongside the roads in many places.

I've written about this before, but think it's great to see business women in skirts, old men who can barely walk and teenagers with ipods all riding together on the streets. At home I might be a little hesitant to ride in high heels, but here I do it all the time. In fact, it is more comfortable than walking in them.

Sometimes it is mayhem, because bikers, including me, seem to feel exempt from the rules that drivers or pedestrians here strictly follow. I often play chicken with others in the paths as I or they ride on the wrong side of the street.

Ike (my bicycle) seems to be complaining louder lately, and sometimes I worry he will fall apart. I inwardly plead for him to last just one more month. I'm not sure what I would do without him.

Lesson learned: Biking works well for narcisists.

No comments: