Monday, September 15, 2008

Off to the isle


I flew to England over the weekend to visit my friend Felicity, who I met when I studied abroad in Salzburg, Austria. She lives in a village near London and has already taken the trip to see me twice. I figured it was my turn. We had a great time. I spent Friday afternoon touring around London since she had to work. I was really impressed with the architecture. There are these ornate spires that stab the sky around every corner. And of course I got my picture with one of those guards in the red coats.

I met up with Felicity and a group of her friends for dinner and drinks. We spent Saturday at some of the smaller towns in her area, which look like something out of a movie.


Before I left, I had gotten an e-mail from Felicity telling me there was to be a "fancy dress" party Saturday, and she said, "Don't worry, you can borrow something to wear from Emma or me." I assumed this was a cocktail party and she was thinking I hadn't brought anything nice to Berlin. Actually, they are costume parties that might as well be Halloween. We managed to pull together a sixties dress and some knee high boots for me. The occasion was one of Felicity's friends was having a Birthday. There were fireworks and everything. Not too shabby.


Though we were tired, we wandered out Sunday to meet up with another of our Salzburg alumni for lunch in Winchester, where the queen has a castle. Unfortunately, the queen wasn't home.

Now I'm back in Berlin and still thinking in British phrases. They have so much fun slang. I'm jealous.

Lesson learned: I am going back.

No comments: