Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Mayday, mayday, we're going down

I am sitting on an airplane right now. Thankfully, this one is not trying to buck us off like the plane I was in during my last flight. Seriously, I have never been more scared on an airplane in my life.

We were taking off when it started sliding back and forth. It took some big drops, until the nose of the airplane was pointing downward as we were making a steep left turn. One particularly sharp drop, everyone on the plane screamed. I was clutching onto the arm rests with both hands (as if that would save me if we crashed). By the time things smoothed out, I was shaking. The guy next to me asked me if I was OK, then consoled me my saying "That freaked me out, too." No kidding?

It was all made okay though, when the flight attendant sang a tribute song to Southwest to the tune of My Girl once we landed.

I'm just glad it's over. I'll feel better when I'm sitting on the beach in Florida.

Lesson learned: Though airplane travel may be safer than driving, its capacity to terrify just doesn't compare. A car can't free fall 50 feet and still be okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss you already.