Saturday, November 24, 2007

Dodging rocks


The warm weather has allowed me to sneak in a few bike rides that I haven't gotten a chance to do this season so far. There is a ride here up to the top of a peak about 30 miles from where I live. It's a cool 13 miles uphill to the top, then another six or seven downhill. The downhill isn't just a cruise through rolling hills either. It basically consists of dropping down steps, dodging rocks and hovering behind the seat of your bike trying not to go over the handlebars over granite rollers.

I did it once last year, but I've never gone back until today. I went with Steve, my regular riding buddy; Paul, Jenn S.'s husband; and Paul's brother Justin.

It was nearly balmy when we started, so I had to peel off the four layers I had on within the first two miles on the way up. They all went back on in the last two toward the top.

Few groups ever do this ride without someone crashing at least once on the way down. I went down first, then Paul crashed, so I didn't have to be the only one. I made it through with just a bruise on my thigh. Not bad.

Lessons learned: I need practice on the technical stuff.

No comments: