Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Please sign right here

Amid the reams of junk mail I get in my work e-mail, I get a steady stream of press releases from various organizations or interest groups. Some tout the latest book on alternative treatments for autism, others want me to call a certain doctor about new techniques for brushing your teeth, while still others give me the latest on an appearance the governor made at the some convention, all with the hope I'll jump on writing a story about it.

But one I got earlier this week caught my eye. It was from a nonprofit organization that is encouraging all of those who may be hosting a Thanksgiving dinner to make sure to have an obesity waiver available at your door and require guests to sign it. The waiver could protect you from lawsuit if someone sues you because they pigged out at your party and gained a few pounds. Among the list of grounds for such a suit could be 1. Failure to provide nutritional information, 2. Failure to warn of potential for overeating because the food tastes too good and is provided at no cost. 3. Failure to offer "healthier alternatives" vegetarian tofurkey. They even had a link where you could find such a form.

Wow. What's next?

Lessons learned: Nothing is my fault. At least that's what society tells me.

No comments: