Saturday, November 17, 2007

Pray for Sue

On Thursday night, Sarah told me news that no one wants to ever tell about one of their parents. Her mom, Sue, was just diagnosed with cancer, which was a shock because she has been healthy. Fortunately, they don't think the cancer has spread, so she has a surgery scheduled for Wednesday.

Sarah's parents have become my surrogate family here in Sonora. They're who I spend my holidays with when I'm not visiting my own family. They go to the same church as us. They host dinners and lunches and parties. Jenn S. and I started calling them mom and dad. So when I heard about Sue, it broke my heart.

Even more difficult is the fact that Sarah is suffering through her own illness. She's always been really strong about it, at least outwardly. But I know it must be hard to find the extra energy to cope with this.

So today, I helped Sarah into her parent's house, so that she can be there to help care for her mom as she goes through this process. When we got to her parent's house, Sue was camped out on the couch, protesting the shows on the Lifetime station she was watching. I gave her a card and a hug. It was her who took my face in her hands and told me she loved me and that everything happens for a reason.

Lesson learned: I guess strength runs in the family.

No comments: