Sunday, October 15, 2006

Home improvement

Last night was round two of construction in flip flops. I'm becoming a pro. Okay, so I wasn't really planning to help work on Jenn and Paul's house when I went over there. I was just stopping by. I should have known better.

I actually had a great time. Jenn and I made a expedition to the hardware store first to get electrical boxes. We had to call Paul like three times to make sure we were getting the right stuff. He kept saying, "Just get the blue ones." Try saying that to girls standing in front of a wall of 50 million varieties of blue electrical boxes.

Once we got back, we went to town with the hammers. My favorite part, though, was pulling up carpet. That's where the danger of wearing flip flops comes in, will all the tacks and nails that comes up with it. Jenn and I joked that we should make a home improvement video for women — since we look the part of seasoned contractors and all.

I thought I was getting the hang of pulling up some of the wood nailed down under the carpet, until Gabe came in and did about four times what I was doing in about 4.2 seconds.

Lesson learned: It takes me about 37 strikes of a hammer to nail a nail in a 2 by 4. Gabe: 3. So I guess I will never make a successful career out of construction.

No comments: