Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Signed up with nowhere to go

More than a month has passed since I was accepted to the Rotary exchange program to Japan, and I have yet to learn much more than a handful of words in Japanese. We signed up for this online program as a group with the idea we would learn it independently. I got an e-mail forwarded to me from our group leader confirming that he had requested an account for us. I thought I would get instructions a few days later telling me where to go and what my password was. But it never came.

A few days later, I got an e-mail from the group leader saying "Hope you are all enjoying the language instruction. I just completed the first lesson." What? So I wrote him, and apparently I never got an e-mail that told me my password.

He set me up with one, but now, ironically because my new computer is too new, I'm having problems downloading the software I need to run it.

At this rate, "Hi" and "yes" are the only words I will master in this language.

Lesson learned: There are disadvantages to being up with technology.

No comments: