Saturday, August 26, 2006

Farewell Josh


Josh's last day was Friday. He is heading off to drive across the country, then travel Europe with his wife, Sarah. I did promise to write blog entry about him. So here it is:

All my friends at the paper and I went through a short-lived phase of having costume parties. We did the 1980s, '70s and western. Josh was always in contention for the best costume.

I think the funniest thing I ever saw was Josh singing "Hungry Like the Wolf" complete with split jumps and hip thrusts at a local karaoke bar. He was wearing turquoise exercise pants, a florescent green fanny pack, a black mullet wig and sun glasses. This was about the time that Josh was still making us all call him "The Wolf," a play on his last name.


The '70s party was in honor of his birthday. We actually went roller skating for this one. Again Josh came out in full force and ended the night with a surprisingly agile scissor kick for the camera, which turned out to perfectly frame a fellow coworker, Dyhanna, and I, who were sitting on a curb behind him.

But the most time I spent with Josh was undoubtedly at work, where he was our comic relief, a constant distraction and the older brother I never had. I'm not kidding about the last one. I think he actually put me in a head lock one time. Another, he stepped on my sandaled toe and pushed me, so that my body went back and my foot stayed planted under his shoe. I did what all little sisters do and tattled to our editor, saying I wasn't sure if I could take the ongoing abuse. Patty always took my side, even it if was me harassing him.

Our relationship pendulumed between praising each other's work, adding that we could only aspire to each others greatness, and giving lofty presentations of our own stories on that day's paper, saying things like, "Maybe you, too, will someday have a story above the fold" (the most coveted spot in the paper). On a few occasions Josh would bestow upon me a paper with his signature on it.

We also sometimes made a killer team with a double byline, since both of our names start with the same letter. On these days Josh was sure that there were lines of people outside of the door just before the paper came off the press, waiting for our combined brilliance. According to him, the paper's circulation doubled when the W & W team joined forces to create what can only be described as journalistic gold.

As you can see, the only truth in our office can be found in the stories we write.

Well that was our interaction. But Josh is best known for serenading Jenn in falsetto, operatic song. That and his attempts at "ninja" to anyone who threatened him. He always had loyal sources who leaked tips to him because he is great at schmoozing. He and the county counsel, for example, would banter back and forth constantly. Recently Josh called him, and after two attempts and two hang ups asked for the "president of the mediocre attorneys association."

So there is your column, Josh. Have a great road trip. The office won't be the same without you. (Check out Josh's travel blog at http://thebeautifultoday.blogspot.com/.

Lessons learned: I'm going to miss this guy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading your blog this morning, I had the "hungry like a wolf" song in my head for hours and hours. I couldn't shake it. I don't even know Josh, but based on the photo, I'm holding him personally responsible! He owes me big time.......

Anonymous said...

that guy sounds like a stud!

Anonymous said...

I've heard about Josh. In his college days he was a mediocre reporter who tried to play recreational basketball but was very slow and lethargic, much like his writing style. He idolized one particular fellow student, I think the guy's name was Ferchland or something, who is no doubt garnering awards and acclaim.