Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Go Mac, Go

My work computer and my laptop at home have had a strange role reversal of late. Up until last weekend, my newly acquired MacBook was faster on dial up Internet than my computer at work with a high-speed network connection. There, our decade-old machines downloaded Web pages slower than I could run backwards up an escalator the wrong way.

No more.

We just upgraded our computer system this week, compete with new Mac Minis on an OS X operating system. We also have a new Web-based system for editing and processing stories. It's pretty much chaos around here while everyone gets used to it, but it's amazing the ease at which I can look up a Web site, organize interviews on my calendar, send e-mails, talk on the phone and type notes — all at the same time.

Meanwhile, all cyber-communication on my lap top at home has come to a screeching halt. I'm sorry to say, my newly found confidence in Apple is evaporating like gasoline on hot pavement. (I really am rooting for them to change the tide because I love OS X.)

The Apple and Mac debate was a hot topic among a few of my friends in college, and I always aligned myself with the PC supporters. My critisism was that Macs crashed, were slower and seemed more unstable than PCs. But in the past two years, I sort of changed my mind. With viruses infesting PCs, OS X's user friendliness and the new Intel core they have put in Macs, I decided to try on for myself.

Well, in the less than one month that I've had my MacBook, it has crashed more times than the four years I had a Hewlett-Packard. I've also spend about eight hours on the phone with tech support.

The problems started soon after I purchased it when it wouldn't shut down completely, then wouldn't turn back on. On my second call to Apple, the guy suggested I download the upgrade for OS X. Well, that seemed to fix the problem, but it also created one even worse. The minute I restarted after the download, my computer crashed and my Internet hasn't worked since.

Apple referred me to AOL. So I spent two hours on the phone with them, opening various folders, clicking different buttons on and off, logging on the Internet over and over. We even erased the AOL software and reinstalled. It never failed, the Internet would only let me online for a few seconds before disconnecting. He finally told me to call back Apple because maybe there's something wrong with the modem.

Two more hours-long phone calls later, the problem isn't fixed, but they're sending me a new modem. Hurray.

I know a few of you are asking why I am on a dial up connection in the first place. Of course, those of you who are make two to three times my salary and don't live in the foothills, where not that many forms of high speed Internet work. (I get dial up for free).

That said, I'm looking into DSL.

Lessons Learned: Look closer at the PCs next time. (Will someone please prove me wrong?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PC's. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't know what's wrong with your Mac. I think that there's some computer geeks down at that computer store/internet thing near the Old Stan that could help out. They're kind of nerdy, but always helpful to me when I had trouble.

one really good test would be to go down to the Heartrock and see if you can get on their wirelesss. If that works, then it's definitely AOL. That is, if you have a wirreless card or "airport" I think they're called.

you have 30 days of something...if it's a piece of shite, then you should return it for a new one. Push the guy and make them take it back.

You can get a Dell for a reasonable price right now too. Especially with the whole "back to school" craze going on.

hope it all works out.

Anonymous said...

Macs Rock and you know it. Buck up. Your HP or Dell would have died even more times then your mac and been infected with at least two viruses by now not to mention been completely incompatible with your work machines now... and run your disk utility regularly...

lessons learned said...

lakes - somehow I knew i would get a comment from you on this one.. :)