Tuesday, August 08, 2006

KAVU

Sunday was one of those KAVU days. Probably only one person who may or may not be reading this will understand that. Unless of course, you're a fan of the clothing brand. It means Klear Above Visibility Unlimited — or the perfect day.

These days for me usually involve a few components: some sort of rigorous activity, sunshine, good company and beautiful scenery. Sunday it was a mountain bike ride. My riding buddy, Steve, and I headed up the hill to a place called Spring Gap. There is a trail head there that splits off the road near a bridge and follows the creek. It eventually ends, after crossing several culverts on wooden planks. Then there is a fire road that heads up an hill and through a hilly pasture with heifers wearing cow bells. Another trail head starts there. It is the origin of a single track that is basically a tunnel through tree branches on a bed of long pine needles. It comes out onto a fire road with a roller coaster of steep hills to the top of a ridge. The final stretch is a smooth trail back along the other side of the creek.

I did a lot better this time with my peddels. Steve loosened the settings for me, so it was easier to get out of them. I was nervous for the first 20 minutes. It's amazing the effect two little metal clips can have on my adrenaline. But I relaxed after awhile and started enjoying the benefits of them. I did have one minor incident, but I wouldn't really call it an official fall.

After we got back, we sat on some of the rock slabs in the creek, until there were none left with sunshine on them, and had a beer. We came down the grade just in time to watch the sun set over the Central Valley.

Lesson Learned: It's easier to enjoy the ride if you relax.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rock on! Nothing like a good KAVU day. Good for you... I seem a little sparse on them since MT. ;-)