Sunday, April 01, 2007

Earth shaking


We're back in Sendai staying at a hotel now. The weekends are meant to be for free time, but that rarely happens. We're happy to explore, but I think the pace is making us all a bit tired — somewhere between glazed and giddy (see photo). We stayed busy the past two days visiting a museum, a traditional Japanese candy maker, a shrine, a Sake factory (sake-flavored ice cream is fantastic), and, of course eating.

A few of my friends and family have asked if I felt the earthquake in the south of Japan. The answer is no. It would be like feeling an earthquake in northern California that happened in San Diego. However, there was a mild one last night. The girls and I were sitting in one of the rooms, when we felt it. It went on for about ten seconds, with all of us staring at each other, waiting for the buildings to start falling and alarms to sound. I guess the epicenter was out at sea, and it was only magnitude 2 in Sendai.

Needless to say, it gets your blood pumping for a split second. It was my first earthquake.

Lesson learned: Avoid floors four through six in high rises during earth quakes. We're on floor seven.

No comments: