Saturday, April 14, 2007

A musical farewell

Our final day in Morioka was the first full free day we've had since we've been here. I spent it writing my weekly column that runs in the newspaper I work for while I'm traveling in Japan, and packing.

The Rotarians had a goodbye party for us, which also served as a send-off party for the Japanese team who is now leaving for California. Many of the people we've met along the way were there — including my favorite photographer, who was in full form. (See earlier post).


At a private party awhile back, the four of us had sung karaoke, giving our rendition of Madonna's "Like a Virgin." Without us realizing it, at last night's party, Takashi had a karaoke machine ready for an encore. So there we were, in front of all the Rotary higher ups, squeaking out the song and trying to appear comfortable doing so. Despite the content of the lyrics, the Rotary governor, who must be 70 or older, was clapping and dancing with vigor of someone half his age.

When the last chords of the song finally subsided, Aimee leaned over and voiced what we were all thinking: "Well, that was the most surreal experience we've had."

After the party, Takashi took Beth, Erin and I to a tiny piano bar tucked off a narrow alley. They served us a few specialty drinks, as usual, with great relish and delicate presentation.


Takashi had heard of a couple piano performances I made on previous stops. Not to be left out, he waved his hand, and before I knew it, I had unseated the performer and was sitting at the baby grand piano. I think the ultimate experience I could have in a foreign country is to play a piano like that in such a setting. When the real pianist returned, he serenaded us with everything from Debussy to blues to songs from the Little Mermaid soundtrack.


Lesson learned: Music needs no translation.

No comments: