Monday, April 09, 2007

International affair


Returning to Morioka, where we have passed through on our trip in Japan twice before, was a homecoming of sorts. We have always stayed at the same hotel each time, and it is right in the center of the city. There is something comforting about familiarity.

We met up with Takashi again, who took us to a Tex Mex/Irish pub for dinner. I don't think I could ever quite wrap my head around eating Mexican food in front of Guinness banners in Japan. I was pleasantly surprised at the food. I was expecting guacamole from a paste and seaweed in my tacos. We got a platter of these little mini flour tortillas to fill with beef, chicken and even cheese. I haven't had cheese, which the exception of the creamy stuff you put on crackers during the holidays, for three and a half weeks.

The biggest surprise came later, when Erin and I, caught in a second wind decided to go out. We were a little nervous about going into any random bar (since many of the bars here are some level of gentleman's club, so we headed back to the place we had eaten dinner. We sat and talked over a drink. I'm not sure if I was just wrapped up in conversation, or if it was that I was in an Irish pub, but it took me a second to register when two white guys walked in. My though process was this: "Oh, just some people entering the pub." "Wait, I'm in Japan and those guys are white." Watching their faces, they had the same thought process. We all kind of stared at each other as we walked in. This is only strange because I have seen very few white people since I've been here. Both are English teachers here in Morioka — one an American and the other Australian. We ended up comparing notes about our travels and the culture over a game of darts.

Lesson learned: We're not the only ones who are baffled by the whole slipper ritual.

No comments: