Friday, April 13, 2007

So much for blending in


So earlier I mentioned that I was starting to know what celebrities feel like (with all the photos they have been taking of us). Well that feeling rose to new heights today. We had a news story about us that ran in local paper with a circulation of 230,000 today. But since I'm a slacker and can't read Japanese characters, I have no idea what is says. But there is a fantastic photo of us all dressed up in white shower caps and trench coats during a noodle factory tour.

Then news cameras followed us around on a few tours today. I think the camera was the weirdest thing. They get really close to your face, and you have to pretend that there isn't a big bright light shining in our eyes, or like you're not wondering if they can see into your pours with that huge lens. They chose me to interview, since I am a journalist and we were touring a broadcasting company. I really just wanted to melt into the floor, but instead, I managed a few complete sentences for the reporter interviewing me.

It was equally embarrassing watching the whole thing with my host family tonight. They thought it was the greatest ever.

Lesson learned: I just need to come to terms with my Americanness.

No comments: