Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Easing in

Every once and awhile, I have these total moments of total contentment and excitement that I'm here. This is an amazing city. It's very alive. Every night, people gather on a bridge that I live near, with their books or bottles of beer. The streets are full of bikes, either with people on them or chained up to a pole.

Tonight I celebrated my arrival by going out to dinner. While I sat at a table outside drinking a glass of wine, a saxophonist set up shop just outside the tables. People milled on the street in front of us. I had a chance to breath and read through my "tourist" book about the history of Berlin. It's sort of surprising, given its history, that this city is thriving. It doesn't seem so big when you are in your own neighborhood.

Lesson learned: I think I can live here.

No comments: