Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Getting to work

I had my first day of work today. Getting to work was more difficult than actually being there. It took me an hour and half. First the subway I was to take was not running because of construction, so I had to take a bus. Then, when I finally got to the right destination, I had some trouble finding the office.

My saving grace in every challenge I come up against is that I speak the language, kind of. In tense situations, however, one of two things happens: I know how to ask the question, but don't understand the answer; or I understand the answer, and don't trust that I really have.

Anyway, I did make it to work. The first coworker I met was Sebastian, who, thankful, speaks very clear German and who, for some reason, I understand better than anyone else I've met here. Later I met my boss, Malhte, who I liked the minute he walked into the room.

I spent the day reading newspaper and researching ideas of things that I can write about. I am working in the opinion section, which means I need to start forming an opinion about what I think on some topics I haven't allowed myself to decide.

I haven't yet cleared jet lag, though, because I almost fell asleep at my desk this afternoon.

Lessons learned: Writing opinion is a whole different game. As is writing in German.

No comments: