Sunday, August 10, 2008

Free learning

Though TV has a bad reputation when it comes to education, I think it actually it a good learning tool in another country. So last night, I felt lazy so I sat in and watched American Dreamz — this cheesy fictional spin off of American Idol, only with a terrorist attack and unrequited love. Don't ask.

First of all, it's a horrible movie. I'm glad I didn't waste any money on it. I'm also glad I didn't waste my time watching it in English. At least in German it was instructional.

I was happy to find that I understood most of it. It helps that you can see what is going on. I'm also happy that in Germany, they dub movies instead of use subtitles. The way in which they do it, however, always makes me laugh. Already, it's a bit funny to actors whose voices you know speak in voices you don't. But in dubbed German, the women always speak in this high-pitched cartoonish tones, and the men always sound like Buzz Lightyear. Maybe they realized how ridiculous it already sounds, and they decided to embrace it. Maybe it's a cultural thing. I don't know.

Anyway, for those of you at home, don't bother watching American Dreamz, unless it is in Spanish.

Lesson learned: A glass of wine makes them sound a little better.

No comments: