Monday, August 11, 2008

Self portraits


Thank goodness for the 10 second timer on digital cameras. Otherwise, I wouldn't have any proof that I'm really in Germany. Yesterday, I went to see Berlin as a tourist. I went to the Brandenburg Gate, the Tiergarten and a street called Unter dem Linden, where I had no one else to take photos of but myself.

One of the more fascinating things I saw is bluntly called "Memorial to the Murdered Jews." I didn't know what is was when I encountered it at first. It's basically a maze of evenly-spaced cement rectangles that people can walk through. The start out short and grow taller as you come into the center. As you walk, the stones they sit on weave between hills and valleys, and you catch only quick glimpses of others as they pass through.



It started to rain just as I stopped for lunch (a Turkish Doenner Kabap, which is shaved lamp between slices of bread with vegetables and an amazing sauce, that I developed a taste for in Austria). Fortunately, stopped raining just long enough for me to get home.

Lesson learned: Self portraits are somewhat boring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. It's good you have proof that you are actually there, otherwise I might have thought you were hiding out in Sacramento.
With your personality - I'm sure you'll have more bodies in your shots in no time.