Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Life as an intern's assistant

I am feeling a bit like an intern, although our program coordinators instist that's not what we are. In fact, they made us say that at our orientation. I'm realizing, however, that four years experience is little currency when compared to the advantage that speaking the language has. There are about five interns here, and they are putting me to shame.

This morning we were at a meeting and the editor was dishing out stories. The others got such blockbusters as a follow up on Madonna (who just had a concert here) and a story about Turkish unemployment. My assignment? To tag along with another reporter who was attending a press conference prior to an international electronics exhibit.

I'm not complaining. This is part of the experience, and I'm learning a lot about how newspapers work in Germany. It is a bit humbling though, which is probably a good thing too.

To be honest, I actually had a lot of fun on my adventure to the electronics exhibit. I got to get out of the office, eat free food, see a TV that is taller than me and get to know another reporter.

Lessons learned: I'm not an intern. I'm backup to an intern.

No comments: