Friday, August 15, 2008

Tripped up

Here are the top ten things that mess with my head here in Berlin:

10. You pay afterwards at a coffee shop or even often at a bar;
9. Everything tastes different - yogurt, milk, spaghetti sauce - blander and thinner somehow;
8. People on the streets are really nice, but sales clerks in the stores are famously, and unbelievably, rude (I had one who loudly complained I was taking to long when I was looking for some change once);
7. The language;
6. The language;
5. The language;
4. The doors swing in instead of out. Can't tell you how many times I've pushed when I should pull;
3. The traffic lights are set only right over the crosswalk where cars stop at an intersection instead of across the intersection as well. I almost died a couple times on my bike because of that;
2. The doors swing in instead of out. Can't tell you how many times I've pushed when I should pull;
1. The Ys and Zs are switched on computer keyboards and apostrophes are in a different place. I get used to it, and then I home and mix it up on my American keyboard.

Lessons learned: Obviously I haven't learned them yet of I wouldn't be having these confused momments.

No comments: